Notre Dame de l'Assomption Church
Notre Dame de L’Assomption is a Baroque-style church located in the Fontcouverte village at 8 km of La Toussuire.
The church used to be known under the name Michel-Ange. Traces of the former building can be seen in the belfry, the choir and the sacristy.
Following the wish of the inhabitants during the Black Death in 1630, the permit of enlargement was given in partnership with the priest Monod, the Boisson association and the bishop in charge at that time.
In reality, it was entirely rebuilt on one hand, from the large pillars at the bottom of and on the other hand from a lateral door. The choir was reshaped; the roof was made in tuff. The building contractor Dominique Blanc was from Susa and the architect Boch was a Capuchin.
The works was planned to be finished 2 years later for 2300 florins (Savoy money) but it ended on June 18, 1960. The Church was then renamed Notre Dame de l’Assomption. The new monument is composed of a single nave facing south decorated with medals and stucs.
Its façade is very characteristic of the Baroque style especially its tuff gate and its arched bay window. The retable by the sculptor Etienne Jomard from St Jean was highly valued. There is in its centre two paintings by L.Dufour; the Assumption and St Michel terrifying a darker dragon.
The church’s arrow was destroyed during the French revolution.
From 10/07 to 31/08/2023.
Closed on Monday.
Free visit from 3.00 pm to 6.00 pm.